GNU Development Possible?

Colin DeWolfe dewolfe at ug.cs.dal.ca
Thu Jan 10 11:44:35 AEST 1991

In article <17298 at cbmvax.commodore.com> kevin at cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) writes:
[gnu stuff nuked]
>>memory subsystem.  What are the available high-end models?  Although
>>I've been told that the "fastest" Amiga is a model that is not the
>>high-end but enhanced with an accelerator, I don't know how well
>>this would work with Unix and such.
>
>At the moment, I'm running Unix on an Amiga 2500/030, which is the accelerated
>model that you're talking about, so the answer is, it works fine.

I think what he may have meant was the GVP 50MHZ 3001.  I'm curious about
this because a friend of mine might upgrade his 2000 with one of these
if it runs UNIX, otherwise, he'll sell and buy a 3000.  So does Amiga UNIX
suport the A3001 board or what?

>>I also know nothing about the availability of monitors on Amiga;
>>is the architecture open enough to allow a variety of choices?
>>Although color and gray-scale monitors can be lots of fun, I'd
>>lean towards a solid monochrome display over anything fancy even
>>if I were offered a choice without having to pay.  If I saw a
>>color monitor that did B&W as well as a given monochrome, however,
>>I might be persuaded.  What's the status of this kind of stuff
>>on the Amiga?
>
>At the moment, you have your choice of many models, including virtually all
>Multi-Synch monitors, several high end color monitors (I'm partial to the
>Zenith Flat Tension Monitors), and a 19" monochrome monitor from Moniterm
>that is the equivalent of the monochrome SUN monitors.
>
>Note that for some of these monitors you will need to buy a display card.
>The Zenith requires a Flicker Fixer or Commodore display enhancer, and the
>moniterm has its own display card.

Let's not forget the 14" 2024 greyscale monitor (1008x800 (i think) and
the fact that the A3000 comes with a Display Enhancer...

--
Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe at ug.cs.dal.ca