GNU Development Possible?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at bambam.pcs.com
Mon Jan 14 17:27:15 AEST 1991

>Is Amiga UNIX going to be sufficiently solid to enable me to get
>GNU EMACS, GNU CC, and other GNU software up and running, and to

I've seen all of the above already running under Amiga Unix. According
to one German developer I talked to, gcc is in fact the compiler of
choice on that machine. For various political reasons they've been
trying to get the AT&T compiler to Do The Right Thing, but he said
a frequently heard phrase heard around Commodore (Germany) was
"What do you mean your program doesn't work? What compiler did you
use? /bin/cc?? Oh, well, that's your problem. Why didn't you use gcc?"
(liberally translated from the German, of course :-).

So the short answer is: Yes, the GNU tools have by-and-large already
been ported by Commodore. I hope that they release them with the machine,
but there are obviously no guarantees.

					Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh at meepmeep.pcs.com
	EUNET:		unido!pcsbst!jkh
	ARPA:		jkh at violet.berkeley.edu or hubbard at decwrl.dec.com