some questions

Charles Cazabon 186-003-526 cazabon at hercules
Wed Jun 12 14:59:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.212147.19177 at meteor.wisc.edu> foley at meteor.wisc.edu writes:
:I have never used an Amiga so please bear with me.

That's okay, every body has to start somewhere.

:I am using a bunch of Unix workstations at my office (Sun Sparcstations,
:etc.) and I would like to get something like this for my own personal
:use at home.  I have heard that the Amiga 3000 is a pretty good computer
:and that it can run a flavor of Unix and X11.

Yes, you can run Unix System V, Release 4, X Windows, OpenLook, and lots
of other goodies on a 3000UX.  Byte Magazine called the 3000UX "the best
implementation of Unix SVR4 available" and said it "significantly outperformed
NexT and Macintosh computers running" their flavours of Unix.  And there are
cheaper, as well!

:Is this really true?  Can someone buy an Amiga with Unix and X11 already
:installed?  How much would something like that cost - with the appropriate
:hardware setup?  How well does something like this work?  What kind of
:hardware is involved?  What version of X11 is it?  What kind of window
:manager does the X11 server use?  Can you get Motif for the Amiga?
:Etc...?

You buy the 3000UX in a number of configurations for different prices,
I can't tell you exactly because I am up here in Canada.  Check with your
local authorized Amiga dealer, and ask about the Power Up program, through
which you could save $1500 or $2000, depending on model purchased.

:Any information about Amiga Unix/X11 would be most appreciated.
:
Simply the smartest choice for a Unix workstation for the money.

--Chuck Cazabon, cazabon at hercules.cc.uregina.ca
* My Opinions Are Not My Own...Feel Free To Plagiarize