U Lowell board question (was Re: AMIGA 3000UX)

Keith Gabryelski ag at amix.commodore.com
Sun Jun 23 09:52:04 AEST 1991

saunders at triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
> Just out of curiousity, why doesn't X under UNIX use the blitter?
> It seems this would be a "selling point" for X/Unix on the Amiga
> over the PC Unix boxes.  I mean, isn't this what the blitter chips
> are for?  Speeding up window systems like X?

The answer is simply that the 68030 can do the job faster and better
than the blitter chip.  You must remember the blitter chip was made to
enahance a 7mhz 68000 with bus accesses of only 16bits wide.

Pax, Keith
--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag at amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag