Dave Haynie daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Jun 19 13:56:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun18.040356.15179 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1 at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <VINSCI.91Jun18035202 at nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci at nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>>In article <22477 at cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>   In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347 at nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci at nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>>   >I just got off the phone with X-Pert Computer Services in Germany, and
>>   >to my surprise they said they have a 50 MHz 68040 card available now.

>>   They're lying to you.

>	I still don't understand: isn't it POSSIBLE that they are
>simply replacing the crystal and using a heat sink? The success
>rate could be >0.

When pigs fly.

The rate at which 33MHz '040s currently flow from Motorola (practically NIL)
is a good indication that any '040 at 50MHz is a future item.  The 50MHz
68030 was a different design than the 16MHz-33MHz part; dropouts could be
qualified for 40MHz, but couldn't be sold at 33MHz.  I would not be surprised
if the 50MHz part is a different design (which implys substantial speed tweaks,
not a ground-up redesign).

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.