A3000UX: 16 vs 25 MHz version, Power-Up questions.

Claes Tegenf{lt tegen at isy.liu.se
Wed Jun 12 18:37:14 AEST 1991

jac at gandalf.llnl.gov (James A. Crotinger) writes:

>  I have some questions concerning A3000's and the future '040
>accelerator boards for them. If I buy a 16 MHz A3000 and add an '040
>board to it, will the resulting machine be as fast as a 25 MHz A3000
>with the same board in it? (Aside from the obvious difference if you
>use the '030 as a coprocessor.) The bus runs at the same speed in both
>machines, right? Any other differences?

Yes, according to Dave Haynie at CBM a A3000/16 should with a good design of
the '040 board be equivallent with a A3000/25. This is due to the fact that
both the 16MHz and the 25MHz versions have the same motherboard design. So
it seems that it's only the processor and the clock in the A3000 that makes
it a 16 or 25 MHz machine... Please read the thread about '040 compatibility
warning, (I think it was there I read about this discussion).

  /Clas
tegen at isy.liu.se