Amiga 3000 UX & 2410 Graphics Adapter

Wayne G Rigby metahawk at aix01.aix.rpi.edu
Thu Jun 27 08:15:28 AEST 1991

In article <2307 at tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> danielh at tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Hartman) writes:
>I've been hearing quite a few things about the Amiga 3000UX and would like
>some general information. Also, a few specific questions:
>
>1. Will there (or is there) be a student discount price for the system(s), and
>   what would the happen to be?

There is a discount price, but I haven't a clue as to what they'd be.

>2. Are ethernet cards availible that would work with the 3000UX?

The A3000UX's come with ethernet cards (well, at least the A3000UX/D does,
but I think the B version also comes with it).  In any case the ethernet
cards are available from C=.  There are also 3rd party ethernet cards, but
I don't know how well they work with UNIX.

>3. Would it be possible to get the software seperately, so I could use my
>   current 3000? (Even if rom replacement is necessary)

Commodore is suppose to be working on a UNIX kit for A3000's.  It should be
out real soon.  (I think they're waiting for version 2.0 of their UNIX OS
before they start shipping this, but this is only a guess.)  You'll need
a Q150 tape drive, like the A3070 (?), to install it though.  I hope they
will also sell it on CD.

>4. When is the A2410 (I believe that is the number) graphics card going to be
>   availible, when will it work with unix, does it require a seperate monitor,
>   is it compatible with amigados and all or any other programs, and how much
>   (~) will it run?

The rumor is real soon now.  It works with the 1950 monitor, although you can't
display the maximum resolution the card can output on a 1950 monitor.
Presently, UNIX is the only thing that works with it.  There isn't a version
of WorkBench that works with it yet.

>5. Are there any '040 boards avaible or coming out for the 3000?

The Fusion-Forty is suppose to be out (the 2000 version, at least).  Most
of the major hardware companies for the Amiga, are working on '040 boards.
There should be many more appearing between now and Christmas.

>Thanks,
>
>Dan Hartman

"Hello?  Is there anybody in there?      Wayne Rigby
"Just nod if you can hear me."           Computer and Systems Engineer
          - Pink Floyd                   (A delightful blend of EE and CS)
                                         Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
     Yes, C-128's still live!            metahawk at rpi.edu