some questions

Dave Haynie daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Jun 15 07:49:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.132128.21224 at micromuse.co.uk> dj at micromuse.co.uk (D. J. Walker-Morgan) writes:
>cazabon at hercules (Charles Cazabon (186-003-526)) writes:

>The SVR4 is *NOT* as well put together as other SVR4's, the X11 seems to
>be based on AT&T's distribution and is X11R3... and for the money you pay
>for the basic machine here in the UK, you can acquire higher specification
>NeXTs, Macs, 486's and some SPARC systems.

Well, perhaps you should consider that SVrR4 isn't yet available on NeXT, Mac,
or SPARC.  And most of the UNIX systems currently shipping for PClone are not
SVr4, though that is available.

>The A3000UX has to be bought with a ULowell card (the A2024 monitor I don't
>regard as an alternative) and monitor.

Have you actually used an A2024 or Moniterm?  I use them daily, both at home
and at work.  There's no obvious difference between these and the NeXT display
in practical use.  If you want high resolution color, I can understand that
this doesn't solve you problem, but otherwise, it's a fine display IMHO.

>That said, it is somehow what I expected to come from Commodore as their
>Unix box. Previous incarnations of Amix have appeared to be more "matched"
>to the machine, but that work seems to have been discarded....

I don't know what that means.  Real early versions, back in the days of AMIX,
used Rico's window manager.  But that was because there was no graphics
standard for SVr3.2, and we intended that the machine do graphics things.
It would be foolish to provide a standard OS, SVr4, and require posts to adopt
some alien graphics standard.  That's the current problem with Apple UNIX --
Apple wants UNIX ports to use the Mac graphics toolbox rather than any standard
UNIX display manager.  C= decided to do a modern UNIX.  The difference is,
UNIX people might be attracted to UNIX on the A3000.  On the Mac, Mac users
might get attracted to UNIX, but you're not going to have people who know UNIX
attracted to AU/X.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.