some questions

Bo Najdrovsky bn at mndcrme.UUCP
Wed Jun 12 15:18:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.212147.19177 at meteor.wisc.edu> foley at phoebus.meteor.wisc.edu (Jonathan Foley) writes:
>I have never used an Amiga so please bear with me.

You've missed out..  8-)

>I am using a bunch of Unix workstations at my office (Sun Sparcstations,
>etc.) and I would like to get something like this for my own personal
>use at home.  I have heard that the Amiga 3000 is a pretty good computer
>and that it can run a flavor of Unix and X11.

True...

>Is this really true?

Sure is...

>Can someone buy an Amiga with Unix and X11 already
>installed?

Plug and play... Unix along with X comes installed on the HD.

> How much would something like that cost - with the appropriate
>hardware setup?

Our local dealer has the whole thing, with a multisync monitor for $6000.
that includes:
A3000UX, 1950 MultiSync, Ethernet adapter, Unix, 10 megs or RAM, 210 meg HD.

> How well does something like this work?  What kind of
>hardware is involved?

Works quite well, though the current X server is kinda slow. Byte mag
compared the machine to equivalent NeXT and Mac, and concluded that the
Amiga wins hands down in overall speed.

>  What version of X11 is it?  What kind of window
>manager does the X11 server use?  Can you get Motif for the Amiga?
>Etc...?

Right now its X11R3, however it will be X11R4 as of this summer... It runs
Open Look since this is the default window manager for SVR4. There is
a lot of talk about porting Motif to it here on C.U.A. however, I believe
that people will have to have X11R4 first.... Commodore folks are saying
that it will ship with the new revision of Unix (2.0) by the middle of
summer.

>Any information about Amiga Unix/X11 would be most appreciated.

Does the above qualify??  8-)