Hello to Amiga UNIX users

jle at csgrad.cs.vt.edu jle at csgrad.cs.vt.edu
Sat Jun 8 04:48:25 AEST 1991

Things have finally settled down long enough for me to post to
the usenet concerning our environment and usage of the Amiga
3000 UX.

We have had a pc requirement for the past several years for our
undergraduate students. Last year was our first year using the
Amiga 3000 UX. So by the time this fall comes, we will have
our freshman and sophomore CS majors using the 3000 UX. In
addition we have about 25 units in our department spread over
our undergraduate lab, graduate lab, and on our faculty desks.
Systems in the graduate lab and faculty offices are connected
via ethernet. We are currently working with commodore to
set up a graduate server and undergraduate server. We want to
test out the system under a more stressful environment. In
the past the graduate server was a Mac II with 8Mb RAM and
900Mb of disk. We are working on larger configuration for the
3000 UX.

Our network consist of SUN, DEC, Apple, NeXT, Sequent, IBM
and Intel. A pascal compiler for Amiga UNIX was developed
here at VPI, and we currently are working on prolog and lisp
ports to the Amiga.

Our support operation for the students include sofware updates,
cloning, UNIX support as well as hardware consulting.

I will rest my fingers now. I will be glad to answer questions
on our operation and feelings of the 3000. I will probably have
questions to post to the net as well in the near future.

-Jamie Evans-
CS Dept
VPI
703-231-6102