stdio.h incompatibility?

Keith Gabryelski ag at amix.commodore.com
Fri Jun 21 10:05:39 AEST 1991

devisser at cs.utwente.nl (Jan de Visser) writes:
> When trying to install g++ on my Amiga 3000UX, it complained that a
> FILE does not have a _bufsize field. I examined stdio.h, where FILE
> is defined, and what do you think? No _bufsize! (strange eh :-).
> [...]
> What is the reason for this incompatibility? What to do to solve it?

First, g++ should not be relying on non-portable features of some
stdio implementations.  I suspect, if you look hard, you will find
some way around this.

_bufsize could *probably* be emulated by the `_bufsiz' macro in the
SVR4 implementation but I make no claims that it will actually do what
you want.  It would be better to fix the code in question then to
add another non-portable hack.

We have a compiled g++ here (but the executable doesn't do anything
that interesting yet).

> Are there more of this kind of incompatibilties?

Yes.  On a SUN4 running SunOS 4.0.3c the 42nd byte of the program
`/bin/cat' is `03' on Amiga Unix Release 1.1 it is `00'.  Don't rely
on this! :-)

Pax, Keith

--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag at amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag