Dave Haynie daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Jun 15 07:53:43 AEST 1991

In article <VINSCI.91Jun11130347 at nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci at nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>I just got off the phone with X-Pert Computer Services in Germany, and
>to my surprise they said they have a 50 MHz 68040 card available now.

They're lying to you.  The 68040 has two clocks, the bus clock (BCLK) and the
processor clock (PCLK).  PCLK is twice as fast as BCLK.  However, the speed
of BCLK is the answer to "how fast is that '040".  In other words, the 25MHz
68040 has a BCLK speed of 25MHz, a PCLK speed of 50MHz.  I don't disbelieve
that these folks have 68040 boards, but they're selling you 25MHz boards and
calling them 50MHz.

Motorola has only recently released 33MHz 68040 spec.  They aren't even close
to telling us about a 50MHz 68040, much less delivering one.

>-- Leonard

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.