SVR4 /bin/sh BUG

Frank J. Edwards crash at ckctpa.UUCP
Wed Jun 19 01:18:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun17.234824.20461 at jato.jpl.nasa.gov> dave at jato.jpl.nasa.gov writes:
>crash at ckctpa.UUCP (Frank J. Edwards) writes:
>>Why do *you* use csh?  What are the advantages (please be specific and
>>objective) of csh over ksh?
>
>Ksh doesn't have filename completion. (At least not that I know of)
>This is from a person who uses ksh, csh, and tcsh.

Ah, but it does!  When in the editing mode, ie. hit <ESC> if you've
set EDITOR=vi, you can type the following characters for fname completion:

	*	Causes a * to be appended to the current word and filename
		generation to be attempted.  If no match is found, ring the
		bell.  Otherwise replace the word with the matching file(s).

	\	Filename completion.  Replaces the current word with the
		longest common prefix of all filenames matching the current
		word if an asterisk had been appended.  If the match is
		unique:  a / is appended if its a directory, a space
		otherwise.

	=	List the filenames that would be generated by "*", above.

>Dave Hayes - Network & Communications Engineering - JPL / NASA - Pasadena CA
>dave at elxr.jpl.nasa.gov       dave at jato.jpl.nasa.gov           ames!elroy!dxh

[PS:  Thanks folks -- I kinda' expected "flames galore" from this request, but
that hasn't been the case (of course, my mail was redirect to /dev/null :-) ]
--
Frank J. Edwards		|  "I did make up my own mind -- there
2677 Arjay Court		|   simply WASN'T ANY OTHER choice!"