Amiga 3000 UX & 2410 Graphics Adapter

J Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Sun Jun 30 04:55:30 AEST 1991

In article <2621 at urbana.mcd.mot.com> dfields at urbana.mcd.mot.com writes:
>>The idea of making everybody buy a tape drive to get UNIX is IMHO crazy.
>
>The idea of having a unix system with out a reasonable method to do
>backups is crazy.  Or you plan to by a read/write optical drive?

Did I miss something?  Has UNIX been unbundled?

As to the tape drive, it's a small expense.  SunOS 4.1.1 comes on
*two* 150 Mb carts.  The SunOS CD claims that the entire SunOS
distribution takes up:

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sr3              284914  284916       0   100%    /cd_rom/sunos

Yep, those two tapes are almost full.

If SunOS 4.1.1 came on Amiga floppies, it would take:
284916/880 = ~323 floppies.

Two 3M tapes cost me $50.  323 Sony floppies cost me ~$300.

Ick.  Now compare that to a $600-700 peripheral.  I dunno what
CBM charges, but you shouldn't have to use their tape drive.  (Unless
UNIX is bundled with the tape drive!)

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet at uh.edu - bitnet: jet at UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Systems Wrangler, University of Houston Department of Mathematics