SVR4 /bin/sh BUG

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Fri Jun 14 08:07:36 AEST 1991

In article <109310 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>In article <377 at audfax.audiofax.com> arnold at audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:
>|Amen.  There's no reason to ship *three* stupid shells.  ksh should have
>|been installed as /bin/sh and that's it.
>
>	Agreed - so how about it Amiga unix guys,
>	we all know it works; will you do this for
>	the 2.0 release?

This was tried internally with AIX v3 and found to fail pretty miserably.
It is my understanding that not only are the Bourne and Korn shells different
in many regards, but quite a few of the differences are both non-trivial and
easy to run into.
--
John F. Haugh II      |      I've Been Moved     |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4340
SneakerNet: 809/1D064 |          AGAIN !         |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ