Unix on the A2000 w/ which accellerator?

Loren J. Rittle cs326ag at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 20 09:12:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar19.181854.18408 at grebyn.com> ckp at grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.124047.27083 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> l-rittle at uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>>In article <1427 at amix.commodore.com> ford at amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>>>Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
>>>with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
>>>work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.
>>>
>>>However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
>>>than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.
>>
>>I sure hope C= (or at least the marketing section) doesn't
>>make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd party hard drives controllers
>>and accelerators.  I have a GVP series II and GVP '030
>>board.  I will not buy an A2091 to run Amiga UNIX, I would
>>go without. It seems to me, that there are many A2000 systems
>>out there with non-C= '030 boards and non-C= hard drive controllers.
>>If some of the more common configurations aren't supported,
>>then I don't see much of a future for Amiga UNIX on soupped up
>>A2000's, which is too bad, 'cause I don't want to put more
>>money in computer hardware right now (I've already spent ~8K
>>on my dream Amiga system :-).
>
>What company wrote the software drivers to make your GVP Series II work
>in the A2000 for AmigaDOS? That's right, GVP.
>
>So now, what company must write the software drivers to make your GVP
>Series II work in the A2000 for Unix?  Aha, it's GVP.

Note: I'm not disagreeing with you and if you read my post you
will see that I have not said C= must write the driver.  I have said,
"I sure hope C= doesn't make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd
party hard drives [sic] controllers and accelerators."
There is a difference and you put words in my mouth (hey get those
out of there, please... :-)

I could care less who writes the needed driver (although I'd
bet that there are more GVP SCSI controllers in '030 A2000 than
A2091, but that is another story...)  And then there is the fact
that one currently can't relink the kernal, so yes I stand by
my original statement that I hope C= marketing does not throw a
furbar in the way... :-)

>There's nothing technically preventing Amiga Unix from supporting all
>third party hard drives.  But it'll have to be the third parties that
>make this happen.  Therefore you'r job is to convince GVP that they will
>earn real dollars if they spend the effort to write Unix drivers for the
>Series II.  And I wish you all the luck in the world...

As stated above, there damn well is a problem:  you can't relink the
kernal!  Actually, all I would need to do is convince GVP to
give me data on their hardware and I could write my own driver
provided that this mythical Amiga UNIX 2.0 with user relinking
comes about in the near future.  Today, all A2000 owners san C=
A2091 are out of luck.  I hope that changes soon, or I won't
be using Amiga UNIX.

>--
>First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
>                                                ckp at grebyn.com      \\ / /
>Then, the disclaimer:  All expressed opinions are, indeed, opinions. \  / o
>Now for the witty part:    I'm pink, therefore, I'm spam!             \/

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at