Unix on the A2000 w/ which accellerator?

Loren J. Rittle cs326ag at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 19 22:40:47 AEST 1991

In article <1427 at amix.commodore.com> ford at amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>jason at cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
>> 	I am assuming that Unix will run fine on the Commodore
>> Accellerators, such as my A2630.  The question is will Unix run on the GVP
>> accellerators (like their 33MHz and 50MHz 68030's)?
>
>Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
>with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
>work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.
>
>However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
>than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.

I sure hope C= (or at least the marketing section) doesn't
make it so Amiga UNIX won't work on 3rd party hard drives controllers
and accelerators.  I have a GVP series II and GVP '030
board.  I will not buy an A2091 to run Amiga UNIX, I would
go without.  It seems to me, that there are many A2000 systems
out there with non-C= '030 boards and non-C= hard drive controllers.
If some of the more common configurations aren't supported,
then I don't see much of a future for Amiga UNIX on soupped up
A2000's, which is too bad, 'cause I don't want to put more
money in computer hardware right now (I've already spent ~8K
on my dream Amiga system :-).

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at