Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

David Kessner david at kessner.denver.co.us
Mon Mar 18 15:14:07 AEST 1991

In article <19933 at cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	I'd say commodore spent quite a while on the unix - it's been in the
>works (at one level or another) ever since I joined the company 3 years ago.
>Also, look at the comparisons with other SysVr4 machines that someone posted
>here, as to what state they're in, etc.

Well.  Perhapse.  But people like SCO can get away with that.  Other than that
there are several 386 UNIX makers that have a SysVr4 working quite nicely
but have not released it yet-- because they have some "piddly" little things
that need to be cleaned up...

All in all, the Amiga UNIX gives me the impresseion that it is not complete
and has been rushed.  It is just barely out the door and there are already
talk of the next verson!  Damn, sounds like the Macs System 7.

>	The point is that since they can use a machine (mostly) designed for
>the AmigaDos market, they (as a group) don't have to justify or pay for
>the amount of engineering to build a new machine (which is considerably
>non-trivial).

Yes.  I view Amiga UNIX as an _OPTIONAL_ OS for a good system.  But if I want
a UNIX system then I will buy a _UNIX_ system-- like one of the new SPARC
clones that I saw at COMDEX.  To improve the A3000UX to the point that it
can compete with the SPARCs would put it into the price range of them...

I guess that I am just annoyed at all the folks that are thinking that the
A3000UX is the ultimate workstation-- I gotta unsubscribe to
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy!

>	As for what will be released in the future: no comment (yet).  ;-)

It's what we expect!

--
David Kessner - david at kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .