Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Rich Skrenta skrenta at amix.commodore.com
Tue Mar 19 06:49:48 AEST 1991

david at kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:

> Well.  Perhapse.  But people like SCO can get away with that.  Other than that
> there are several 386 UNIX makers that have a SysVr4 working quite nicely
> but have not released it yet-- because they have some "piddly" little things
> that need to be cleaned up...

> All in all, the Amiga UNIX gives me the impresseion that it is not complete
> and has been rushed.  It is just barely out the door and there are already
> talk of the next verson!

Of course there's a next version!  I've never heard a developer say there's
not going to be another release--unless the product is dead.  Our release 2.0
is going to have some major improvements, including a kernel and libraries
built with a different compiler.  And of course we keep polishing it as we go.
Would you rather we held up the release for "piddly" cosmetic problems?

> To improve the A3000UX to the point that it
> can compete with the SPARCs would put it into the price range of them...

It's not a fair comparison to sit a 3000UX down next to a $15,000 workstation.
Amiga Unix is stable and a great value for the money.

Rich
skrenta at amix.commodore.com