saving Amiga-format disks

Tommy Petersson tope at enea.se
Wed Mar 13 18:38:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.134733.17191 at sarah.albany.edu- hb136 at leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
-In article <27DC6091.3AA4 at ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu> rglaeser at sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Russell D Glaeser) writes:
->
->     The microcomputer resource center here on campus has a 3000UX hooked
->into our local network.  I was there recently wanting do download some
->large files quickly onto 3.5's for use on my non-unix machine.  The person
->there seemed to indicate that the unix box doesn't/can't write Amiga-format
->floppys.  Is this true?  If it isn't, how do you do it?  Do you have to be
->in workbench?  Please help, the prospect of downloading 2M at 1200 baud
->is frightening.
->
->Russ Glaeser
->rglaeser at cs.uiuc.edu
-
-This question was asked in another group and the response seems to be to
-use a program on the UNIX side called bru (or BRU? or Bru? or bRu? or ...).
-On my 3000UX this 'bru' fellow is invisible! The manual mentions  cpio  and
-the man pages mention  backup.
-I mention the above confusion because I am also confused by it and would
-appreciate clarification from anyone.
-
-Would some kind soul clearly write instructions to accomplish this?
-
-Many thanks,
-                                Herb

The Amiga Unix Tech Notes states that BRU (sp?:-) exists in a Unix and
an Amiga-DOS variant. They use the same BRU-specific disk format (Tech
Notes doesn't say that), and it can be used to transfer files between
the two worlds.

They also say something to the effect:
"If you don't already have BRU, ask Commodore for it"

It doesn't say if you will get it :-)

Tommy Petersson
tope at enea.se