Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

David Kessner david at kessner.denver.co.us
Sun Mar 17 07:44:14 AEST 1991

In article <19928 at cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.063527.595 at kessner.denver.co.us> david at kessner.denver.co.us (David D. Kessner) writes:
>	Dhrystone is very susceptible to 64K+ caches, since it ALL gets sucked
>into the cache.  Also, note that Dhrystone 1.1 is quite susceptible to
>compilers "over"-optimizing it.  You should use dhyrstone 2.x to get
>reasonable measurements (1.1 numbers can show a massive skew on some compilers/
>machines, I thikn up to 50% faster than the "should").  See comp.benchmarks
>for more info (and source code for 2.x).

I honestly dont know what Dhrystone version I was using, but would assume 1.1.
When trying several variations of compilers and optimizing, the LOWEST value I
got was about 10,000-- using the AT&T compiler and no optimization.

I'll try to find dhrystone 2.x...

Also, under a multitasking OS a large external cache is more useful when the
system is loaded-- and it keeps SEVERAL "loops" from several programs in the
cache.  Here is where the small internal cache of the 030 fails...

>	Once people start making them, cache should be easy to add (that 200
>pin connector is made for it (and other things)).  Cache boards aren't really
>complex, though testing them can be (and you have be very timing-concious).
>
>	There's also the board space issue.  Look at an A3000 motherboard
>sometime: it's quite packed.  It owuld have been very tough to fit it.

I think C= could have spent more time developing UNIX on the Amiga-- perhapse
designing a separate hardware platform for it.  The UNIX software is obviously
"not quite ready"-- with the B&W X11R3 and all.  It is too bad, since this is
C= first shot at UNIX and everyones first impression is very important-- and I
want C= to succeed...

While it is true that there isnt much space on the A3000 motherboard-- it also
shows that the A3000(UX) was not designed as a UNIX machine from the start.
But it is adiquate.  I think that C='s next attempt at a UNIX machine ought
be a 68040 in a tower case-- with a stronger power supply, more drive bays,
more slots, several serial/parallel ports on the motherboard (with a REAL
UART), and an external cache (even with the 040's internal cache).  That
would be a nice UNIX machine!

--
David Kessner - david at kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .