Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Randell Jesup jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Mar 18 09:51:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar16.214414.1802 at kessner.denver.co.us> david at kessner.denver.co.us (David D. Kessner) writes:
>>	There's also the board space issue.  Look at an A3000 motherboard
>>sometime: it's quite packed.  It owuld have been very tough to fit it.
>
>I think C= could have spent more time developing UNIX on the Amiga-- perhapse
>designing a separate hardware platform for it.  The UNIX software is obviously
>"not quite ready"-- with the B&W X11R3 and all.  It is too bad, since this is
>C= first shot at UNIX and everyones first impression is very important-- and I
>want C= to succeed...

	I'd say commodore spent quite a while on the unix - it's been in the
works (at one level or another) ever since I joined the company 3 years ago.
Also, look at the comparisons with other SysVr4 machines that someone posted
here, as to what state they're in, etc.

>While it is true that there isnt much space on the A3000 motherboard-- it also
>shows that the A3000(UX) was not designed as a UNIX machine from the start.
>But it is adiquate.  I think that C='s next attempt at a UNIX machine ought
>be a 68040 in a tower case-- with a stronger power supply, more drive bays,
>more slots, several serial/parallel ports on the motherboard (with a REAL
>UART), and an external cache (even with the 040's internal cache).  That
>would be a nice UNIX machine!

	The point is that since they can use a machine (mostly) designed for
the AmigaDos market, they (as a group) don't have to justify or pay for
the amount of engineering to build a new machine (which is considerably
non-trivial).

	As for what will be released in the future: no comment (yet).  ;-)

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)