UNIX on Amiga 500?

Travis Bissett tbissett at nstar.rn.com
Mon Mar 11 07:48:26 AEST 1991

jtanner at jack.sns.com (Jason Tanner) writes:

>     A friend told me it is possible to run UNIX (Sys V) On an Amiga 500 since
> it uses a 68000 processor like an AT&t Unix-PC.  This is an exciting prospect
> Is this true? If so what company manufactures it?
> --

The way I hear it, SVr4 requires and Amiga with a 68020 and enough ram --
the 68000 will not support SVr4. There are probably versions of Unix, some
no doubt a flavor of System V, that'll run on a 68000 machine with hard
drive. Dale Luck was rumored to have one when he was developing X-Windows
for the Amiga. Perhaps a SunOS from 1982 could be hacked onto an A500?
Whatever, you and I and your friend can't get such things since these were
never commercially released. I believe Minix is available, and maybe OS/9 --
but why would your friend want them? What application is available for these
bloated, slow operating systems that AmigaDOS can't do better and faster and
a lot cheaper?

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett at nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines