A3000UX help

Sean Reifschneider jafo at miranda.UUCP
Sun Mar 10 02:33:54 AEST 1991

I'm not well versed with SVR4 (Mostly HPUX), so remember that when reading
my response...

In article <18c48a19.ARN0eb8 at cbmami.UUCP> jason at cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
>1.  Unix (on out A3000UX) seems to truncate names to 14 chars, this
>presents a minor problem when using it as a file server for AmigaDos
>machines, since any filename longer than 9 chars will have its icon
>truncated.  Is there any solution/workaround for this.

On the HP machines, they are able to use long file names.  As I recall,
you had to re-configure the kernel to get them, but I think they were 255
bytes long.  Look in the manual for re-configuring the kernel for long file
names.

>3.  Often when I "cat" a file which turns out to contain binary, my
>terminal gets confused and starts to display in all the strange ASCII
>characters, is there a simple way to revert back to normal.

I think there is an option to stty that will do this.  Just don't 'cat'
binary files.

>4.  At one point out A3000UX was turned off before it was shutdown, now
>everytime we boot it, it goes through an 8 minute process of confirming the
>integraty of the file system.  It looks something like:
>
>	Phase 1...looking for loose files
>	Phase 2...  [etc...]

Sounds like it's running fsck.  See below.

>4b. On a related point, I have been shutting down with:
>
>	shutdown -y -g0 -i0
>
>and waiting until I get a logon prompt in init0 mode, before turning off
>the power, is this the proper way?

On the HPUX machines, I do a 'reboot -h'.  The last message I see before
turning the computer off is 'syncing discs...halted'.  Then I power down.
If you don't halt the discs before powering down, a flag gets left on the
system saying that the system needs to run fsck to fix the file system
when it comes back up.

Sean
--
>From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo