A3000UX help

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Tue Mar 5 01:38:53 AEST 1991

jason at cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
> 1.  Unix (on out A3000UX) seems to truncate names to 14 chars, this
> presents a minor problem when using it as a file server for AmigaDos
> machines, since any filename longer than 9 chars will have its icon
> truncated.  Is there any solution/workaround for this.

Investigate the "ufs" filesystem type.  You will have to make a ufs
filesystem on a spare disk partition, and mount it.  ufs is the
Berkeley filesystem, which allows much longer filenames, among other
features.

Unfortunately, ufs is not completely bug-free, which is why we don't
use it by default.  Personally, I use it extensively with no problems
at all, but it has been known to crash when used for /usr/spool/news,
for example.

If you try it and it doesn't work, you will know it, because the
system will panic.  (I.e., you don't have to worry about silent disk
corruption, or anything; the only known failure mode is a total
crash.)  Obviously, this is high on our list of bugs to fix.

> What I am really looking for is the best way to execute the command:
> 	"Share /AmigaDos"
> Everytime the machine is tuned on, so that it will serve as a fileserver
> for out network.

That's what /etc/dfs/dfstab is for.

> 3.  Often when I "cat" a file which turns out to contain binary, my
> terminal gets confused and starts to display in all the strange ASCII
> characters, is there a simple way to revert back to normal.

tput sgr0

> everytime we boot it, it goes through an 8 minute process of confirming the
> integraty of the file system.
> 4b. On a related point, I have been shutting down with:
> 	shutdown -y -g0 -i0
> and waiting until I get a logon prompt in init0 mode, before turning off
> the power, is this the proper way?

Somehing is wrong; that should work.  There should be no prompt after
a shutdown -i0, other than "the system is down" or "you may reboot" or
equivalent.  Try shutdown -i6 once and see what happens.

					-=] Ford [=-

"The term most often used in this	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 manual is `implementation-defined'."	ford at amix.commodore.com
 - SVR4 Programmer's Guide: POSIX	uunet!cbmvax!ditto
					ford at kenobi.commodore.com