Amiga 2500UX ??

Brian R. Smith brsmith at cs.umn.edu
Thu Mar 7 09:06:10 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar6.190721.27760 at csun.edu> bcphyagi at csunb.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:

>In article <1991Mar6.033824.10225 at cs.umn.edu> brsmith at cs.umn.edu (Brian R.
>Smith) writes:

>>>I think at least 8 meg of ram is a requirement to run X on any
>>>platform.

>>Hardly a "requirement".  I've managed to get by on a 4 meg diskless
>>sun 2.

>I wonder how...I'm told by our systems people here that with both X
>and OpenLook under SunOS 4.1.1, a screen refresh after a window drag
>is a 30 second operation (!!!) on a 4 MB diskless Sun 3/50 (12 MHz
>68020).

This was under SunOS 3.4 and the MIT X server, without much besides
the X server and an xterm or three running.  There were many other
(faster) machines on the net for things like xfig, idraw, window
managers, etc.  Response time was limited mostly by processor speed,
not swap speed.

OpenWindows and 4.1.1 are gluttonous on memory.  The X11/NeWS server
tends to take at least twice as much memory as a straight X server.
(Yes, it does more, but those extras are NOT X.)  I can see them
grinding a 4 meg machine into the ground - especially with swap over
the net.

>Of course, he may have had GNU Emacs in a window...

You need a dedicated machine for that, of course.  Something like a
six processor Sequent.  :-)

I suppose I shouldn't open my mouth until I see it and play with it,
BUT, I think a 4meg 3000UX with local swap should be usable with X.
With only one user.  With most of the common daemons disabled.
Without "too many" X clients.

Ok, maybe 8 meg would be a lot better...  :-)
--
Brian