second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

mike.siemon mls at cbnewsm.att.com
Sat Mar 2 10:13:31 AEST 1991

In article <6387 at auspex.auspex.com>, guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

> I assume the 3000UX supports UFS, and not just S5FS; I'm willing to put
> up with some performance loss in exchange for not having to keep the
> number "14" in mind....

SVR4 (and hence 3000UX which bills itself as including eveything we (USL)
put in) does indeed support files systems of your choice.  I don't know
what comes preconfigured with the Amiga; when I install SVR4 on my machine
(a 386; don't ask) as I have to do repeatedly for tracking the OS side of
development, I make my root file system UFS.  It outperforms S5FS in MOST
situations -- the only contraindication is for very full disks, or systems
with SCADS of little files (i.e., traditional UNIX :-)) when you might want
an S5FS configured with smaller block sizes.  Actually, there are several
other file system types -- a BFS (Boot File System) and what has already
been mentioned here before, a PFS (Process File System).  For normal files,
the choice is S5 versus Berkeley -- and the latter has more to recommend it
than just the filename length.
--
Michael L. Siemon		We must know the truth, and we must
m.siemon at ATT.COM		love the truth we know, and we must