UNIX on Amiga 500?

David S. Masterson cimshop!davidm at uunet.UU.NET
Thu Mar 21 09:34:25 AEST 1991

Eric> In <1991Mar9.231842.20395 at jack.sns.com> jtanner at jack.sns.com (Jason
Eric> Tanner) writes:

Jason> A friend told me it is possible to run UNIX (Sys V) On an Amiga 500
Jason> since it uses a 68000 processor like an AT&t Unix-PC.  This is an
Jason> exciting prospect!  Is this true? If so what company manufactures it?

Eric> Unix-PCs (aka 3b1's and 7300's) had a 68010, not a 68000.  There's a big
Eric> difference.  The 3b1 also had memory protection (to the point that if
Eric> you want to direct-write into graphics memory you have to do a hardware
Eric> hack).

I don't know for sure, but I believe the original Unix-PC was a 68000.  That's
what differentiated it from the 3B1 (which was a 68010).  However, when the
bottom dropped out on the price, the product lines merged.  Don't know about
the memory protection on either model, though.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043