Unix on the A2000 w/ which accellerator?

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Tue Mar 19 10:37:42 AEST 1991

jason at cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:
> 	I am assuming that Unix will run fine on the Commodore
> Accellerators, such as my A2630.  The question is will Unix run on the GVP
> accellerators (like their 33MHz and 50MHz 68030's)?

Amiga Unix used to depend on the boot ROMs on the A2630, but starting
with version 2.0, this depedency will be gone.  The new version should
work on any Amiga with an MMU and math chip and AmigaDOS 2.0 ROMs.

However, this is ignoring the issue of using disk controllers other
than A2091 or A3000 SCSI interfaces.

> 	I am not even sure how I would install Unix on my A2500 (A2630)
> much less how to do it on a GVP equipted machine.  I know when I re-boot
> the A2500 w/ both mouse buttons down that it gives me a menu which includes
> Unix.  I have the Unix tape, and the Commodore tape drive, the problem is I
> don't know how I would install the Unix software (from AmigaDos) do that
> the Unix menu would recognize it.

The tape should have come with boot floppies and instructions.  For
pre-version 2.0 installation, the basic idea is to select Unix from
the menu with the "A2500 Boot" floppy in the drive, and follow the
instructions that appear.  This procedure only applies to those beta
versions, though, and will be different in the future.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Look over there!... A dry ice		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 factory -- a good place to get		ford at amix.commodore.com
 some thinking done."			uunet!cbmvax!ditto
 - Talking Heads, "Cities"		ford at kenobi.commodore.com