second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

Dave Haynie daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Mar 12 07:23:10 AEST 1991

In article <19512 at cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>	Note: I haven't measured these things, I'm going on reports from IBM-
>types about the number of wait-states to access video ram (I've heard numbers
>as high as 12).

Dr. Dobbs had an in-depth article on these VGA toys a few months ago.  They
had PC-AT bus wait-states in the 20-30 range, which would translate to a mean
of 12 XT bus wait-states, to VGA memory.  The other interesting thing about
the VGA register set is that everything is intrinsically 8 bits wide.  So you
don't get an AT bus version of a VGA card for its bus width, but generally
because the board runs at AT bus rates (4 cycle 8MHz clock) rather than XT bus
rates (4-5 cycle 4.77MHz clock).  There are a number of non-standard additions
to VGA boards that gives you a more reasonable CPU to memory bandwidth, but
to use such features requires special code; a generic VGA-X wouldn't do much
for you.  This architectural ugliness accounts for the big speedup IBM is
claiming with XGA, even though VGA and XGA use the same generation memory.

>Randell Jesup, Keeper of AmigaDos, Commodore Engineering.

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett