Amiga Unix display modes (was Re: Amiga 3000UX, X, ...)

Mike "Ford" Ditto ford at amix.commodore.com
Sun Mar 24 13:48:53 AEST 1991

david at kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
> Here is a question for those C= folk:  Does the Amiga UNIX use the blitter
> for ANYTHING?  I know that it is not used for X-- but what about scrolling the
> "text-only" virtual terminals?

The text console driver uses the copper for scrolling much faster than
the blitter could possibly do.  There are a few places that it could
possibly make use of the blitter, but it doesn't yet.

>				  Also, can someone set me straight on exactly
> what video modes X will support on the 3000UX (without the U of L board).

The graphics screen driver supports essentially all the standard Amiga
modes.  The X server uses this driver, but currently uses only one
bitplane.

In other words, The X server will do 1024x800 on the A2024, or 704x480
with overscan on an NTSC monitor, or the standard 640 x 400 NTSC mode,
or the corresponding PAL, non-HIRES, and non-interlaced modes.  I'm
aware of only one notable omission:  the 31kHz 640x480 "productivity"
mode of the ECS.
					-=] Ford [=-

"Look over there!... A dry ice		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 factory -- a good place to get		ford at amix.commodore.com
 some thinking done."			uunet!cbmvax!ditto
 - Talking Heads, "Cities"		ford at kenobi.commodore.com