second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

David Wright dmw at prism1.UUCP
Mon Mar 18 23:59:37 AEST 1991

In article <1152 at applix.com> scotte at applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>Well, this just isn't true these days.  It might almost be true if you've
>always got the VGA-mode rotate registers set.  Why would anyone use such a
>VGA for X if they didn't have to?  ET4000 VGA cards, for example, can run
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Maybe because 90% of the people out there DO have to, since they already
own cruddy PC-compatible equipment designed with DOS in mind? And these same
units are the only affordable ones?
>with no wait states.  Aside from a co-p., they are the only sensible thing
>to put on an ISA bus.  So, an end to this VGA wait state rumor, okay?
	It's not a rumour, it's a fact. And even if VGA didn't have wait
states, it STILL can't go any faster than the PC's slow bus in the first
place.
>Arguments about 32bits at 7.16MHz vs 16bits at 12MHz, and my wait states
>are fewer than yours, and blah blah blah are silly and haven't caused me to
	The bus is not 7,14Mhz, it is 14, even on the 68000 units.

				Dave