A/UX [nroff -ms] doesn't work

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Tue Aug 2 13:34:24 AEST 1988

I guess a few of the "kludgy and obsolescent" BSD features left out of
A/UX are reasonable file name length, fast file access, dbx, gprof,
working compilers, reporting file system space in "Kbytes" rather than
a mix of other units, an "ls" that fits on your screen,
termcap/terminfo/vi that handle SIGWINCH, working nlist(), tar that
matches other unix tar options, an "fsck -n" that will leave your disk
alone, disk partitioning that's documented, TCP/IP that doesn't hang
when the other end crashes, prof that will print function names longer
than 8 characters, etc.

>                 You can copy your /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s file from a BSD
> system over and it should just work fine.
> Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
> Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014

What Phil advocates here is in direct violation of your AT&T Unix license.
--
John Gilmore    {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,amdahl}!hoptoad!gnu    gnu at toad.com
      "And if there's danger don't you try to overlook it,