Will there be a release 3 AUX

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Thu Aug 4 03:52:56 AEST 1988

In article <7903 at mhuxu.UUCP> mls at mhuxu.UUCP (Michael Siemon) writes:
>This response is not constructive.  What needs to be known, quite aside
>from issues of how much like/unlike SunOS A/UX will be, is whether, for
>example, streams and other V.3 features will be supported, and whether
>Apple intends to track (in some way, I'm not prejudging the way) the ongoing
>efforts to reconverge the various flavors of unices.  "Politically correct
>questions" be damned.

Actually Michael, you desire to know these things is quite reasonable. This
has just been a irritating week for me since I'm debugging some new Toolbox
programs under A/UX. I get irritated when debugging :-)

My response was moderate sarcastic to the flames from people who OBVIOUSLY
have not used/RTFM'd the product at all. For example, I have been "told"
that A/UX does not have STREAMS, isn't a "UNIX" somehow (i.e., when we Apple
do a "real" (???) UNIX, and been told something that ain't true on UNIX
licensing. The best was the stated fact that A/UX has "no Toolbox support
whatsoever"!!! This greatly surprised me and caused me to look in
wonderment at MacDraw II running on A/UX 1.0. (very sarcastic symbol here)

Some of our sensitivity goes back to a "well know UNIX magazine" that blasted
us in an editorial about how bad our product was. The editorial admitted that
they had NOT seen the product -- in fact, the blast seemed to be that the
UNIX press was left out on the Mac II introduction sneaks.

Anyway - I'm sure the blasts and flames and non-RTFM boze's we get aren't
one whit different than happens to SUN/Apolo/DEC ...

Now for the obligatory information ( :-) ) --

We are a real UNIX. If somebody disagrees, give us concrete examples, not
just "it ain't real UNIX". We are SVR2.2 based. Our TCP/IP code and NFS is
the same you see on VAXen and SUNs. We will remain SVR2+++ based for
about a year. We expect & assume (BUT NO PROMISES) to jump to SVR4. In the
meantime, you will see X11.2 and POSIX "REAL SOON NOW" -- next 2-3 quarters.
Some Universities and other public forums have seen the demos of this. And
we plan on ever-expanding the Toolbox support under A/UX. And of course
we will track the ongoing releases on NFS and YP and TCP/IP and so on.

Suggestions and comments solicited. Those suggestions and comments based
on actual use of A/UX will be listened to ... :-) :-)