Will there be a release 3 AUX

Charles L Ditzel benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 13:56:06 AEST 1988

in article <15011 at apple.Apple.COM>, phil at Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) says:
- In article <17331 at gatech.edu> ken at gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
--Are there plans to produce an AUX like SunOS 4 (no flames), meaning
--a System V/BSD merge?
- Umm - well, we are never going to produce an "A/UX like SunOs 4". We
- couldn't stand the loss of functionality! nasty :-) ... but we are a

Hmm...why do i get the feeling that some Apple AUX engineers haven't read
the trade rags or seen SunOS 4.0...maybe they might learn something useful?

- SVR2 with excellent BSD functionality. Something that OS4 is still not
- near.

You are right they are not near SVR2 they are now at SVR3.

- The politically correct question is when will SunOS 4 be as nice
- as the "merge" as A/UX 1.0???

I hope never...I would fear the return of the stone ages...
but another politically correct question is when will AUX get a
real window system from Apple...like SunView...or NeWS ...or X11 ?