a/ux look-alikes etc

Fred Fish fnf at fishpond.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 14:54:38 AEST 1988

In article <16349 at apple.Apple.COM> jk at Apple.COM (John Kullmann) writes:
>In some previous postings  hulsebos at philmds.UUCP (Rob Hulsebos)
>>I do not run A/UX but a look-alike (not a clone) system, made by
>>the same company that made the A/UX system for Apple.
>
>THAT company did not make A/UX for Apple. We conceived of, designed, and
>implemented A/UX.  We have no "supplier" for A/UX. We own it, build it,
>maintain it, and enhance it.

Hmmm, for the record then, perhaps you could answer the following:

When and where exactly did Unix, running on the Mac-II hardware,
first boot up and issue a shell prompt?

Agreed, A/UX is greatly enhanced over the system that was probably
running on those first hardware prototypes, but making it sound like
Apple designed and implemented Unix from scratch just for the Mac-II
is like IBM claiming it invented the mouse and graphical interface.
Credit where credit is due...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113