A/UX nroff -ms doesn't work

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Tue Aug 16 04:07:07 AEST 1988

In article <64046 at sun.uucp> swilson at sun.UUCP (Scott Wilson) writes:
>>Again, the decision NOT to include -ms and -me was from maintaining the ...
>
>This sounds kind of scary to me.  You mean you will leave out things
>because they could potentially be difficult to maintain.  I can
>think of other programs that would be harder to maintain (for me
>anyway) like yacc.   That one would be tough to really understand.
>What else was left out of A/UX because of maintenance reasons?

No, the -ms macros were NOT a case of leaving something out -- they were
not "in" in the first place. A/UX is SVR2, with BSD extensions. So it was
a case of looking at the cost & desirability of ADDING the -ms macros. And
another poster pointed out that -ms can throw Adobe TransScript on the
LaserWriter off quite badly. So we look at the cost of making -ms work on
the ImageWriter II, the LaserWriters, the future-output-device and so on,
.vs. that manpower in beefing up another are of software, and ta-da, we
didn't bring IN -ms macros.
| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| Mail Stop 27AJ         | "Forgive him Ceasar, for he is a barbarian, and    |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  |  thinks the features of his release are the ways   |
| Cupertino CA 95014     |  of nature."                                       |