How do you change fonts on A/UX?

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Wed Aug 24 02:19:21 AEST 1988

In article <3409 at Portia.Stanford.EDU> mouser at portia.stanford.edu (Michael Wang) writes:
>Is there anyway to add more fonts to the A/UX System file?  I would like to
>add a better version of the Monaco font that has a zero with a slash
>through it and a lowercase l ('L') that doesn't look like an uppercase I
>('i').  I tried copying the file /usr/lib/mac/System onto a floppy and
>modifying the System file with the Font/DA Mover, but when I copied the new
>file back to the A/UX system, the program term didn't recognize the new font
>changes.  I think part of the problem is that A/UX expects the System file to
>be in Apple Single format while both the mfs program and the StarNine
>Utilities package use the Apple Double format.  Anybody have any ideas?

The problem is that Monaco is a system font, and is contained in ROM.  Making
changes to the disk font has no effect on the ROM version the system actually
uses...   UNLESS you add an entry to the ROv# resource for your system,
directing it to use the disk resource instead of the ROM resource.  See IM-V
pages 30-32.  I believe that system patches and ROM overides installed at the
time SASH boots are honored by A/UX.

I have done the above for my system, but have not checked A/UX operation.  Note
that you will have to re-do the ROv# mod every time the system is upgraded,
because the installer scripts justifiably assume that only Apple can specify
which ROM resources should be overridden.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)