How do you change fonts on A/UX?

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Wed Aug 24 03:17:18 AEST 1988

In article <3409 at Portia.Stanford.EDU> mouser at portia.stanford.edu (Michael Wang) writes:
>Is there anyway to add more fonts to the A/UX System file?  ...
>... I tried copying the file /usr/lib/mac/System onto a floppy and
>modifying the System file with the Font/DA Mover, but when I copied the new
>file back to the A/UX system, the program term didn't recognize the new font
>changes.

Hmm - two things.
First, the way I do it is to copy Font DA Mover to the A/UX system, along
with a Font file, and launch (see launch(1)) Font DA Mover. I just verified
this for an A/UX 1.0 system (but was using Font DA Mover 3.8a4 - internal
version -- it should work with late model Font DA Movers though).

Second - term recognizes only fixed width fonts. The way it decides this is to
check and see if the pixel width for '.' and 'W' are the same. if they are
not, then term ignores the font.

I have done the approach of moving the A/UX system file over to Mac OS and
used Font DA Mover to add a zillion fonts -- works fine. But I prefer to
bring Font DA Mover and the fonts over to A/UX - its easier, and any way,
my A/UX system file is now > 2,000,000 bytes, so it is kinda hard to be
moving around.

| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| Mail Stop 27AJ         | "Forgive him Caesar, for he is a barbarian, and    |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  |  thinks the features of his release are the ways   |
| Cupertino CA 95014     |  of nature."                                       |