8/16 MacWeek editorial

John Kullmann jk at Apple.COM
Sat Aug 20 02:49:50 AEST 1988

An 8/16 MacWeek editorial states:
	"... We can only surmise that Apple hopes to downplay
	 X-Windows in favor of Finder...certain to annoy serious
	 UNIX(tm) enthusiasts...But, of course, X-Windows wasn't
	 invented here..."
What a load of crap! The issue of X vs finder had nothing to
do with this decision. Perhaps we wanted to get X-Windows out as soon
as possible, and we thought we could do that but PACKAGING it separately
and getting it out there on its own, thus NOT annoying UNIX enthusiasts!
By making it a separate package we can avoid the much longer
development/QA/packaging/manufacturing cycle that the mainline
A/UX product undergoes. We are also free to revise the X-Windows product
on its own timescale, again without being tied to the A/UX release schedule.
Issues of NIH, revenue, and less support are simply not true and
were never even considered. I was involved in this and our main
concern was "How can we get this product to the user in the shortest
amount of time?" We are considering rebundling X-Windows in one of
the next releases of A/UX.

I know that an editorial is just that, sort of a stream of consciousness
buy someone that may or may not be conscious, but I couldn't let something
as slanderous as that editorial go by without making some kind of comment
on it.

Oh yea, by the way, UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories, something
the author of that editorial neglected to say.
John Kullmann			"All opinions and comments are mine alone"
A/UX Engineering Mgr		..!apple!jk
Voice: 408-973-2939