CDC Wren IV's on A/UX

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.UUCP
Sat Nov 5 04:36:02 AEST 1988

In article <30249 at think.UUCP> ephraim at vidar.think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
>In article <180 at umigw.MIAMI.EDU> angel at umigw (angel li) writes:
>>I have a CDC Wren IV drive which I have initialized with SF&I.  It is bootable
>>and I have been using it as a system disk.  I would now like to use it as
>
>Unfortunately, SF&I doesn't support the partitioning scheme used with
>A/UX.  (It didn't exist yet when the program was written.)  From
>reading comp.unix.aux, though, I have the impression that Apple's
>generic A/UX driver should fill the bill.

I have an XP150 (Wren IV based), I just did a:

	dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0d0s31 of=/dev/rdsk/c1d0s31 bs=400k

(where the distribution disk has scsi ID 0 and the Wren has ID 1). This copies
over the partition map, Apple driver and the whole distribution. The Apple
driver works just fine. After you have done this you will want to use
the A/UX utility dp to enlarge the last partition in the partition map
to take up the whole of the rest of the disk (dp will tell you how big
the disk is). Next use pname to give the new partition a minor number
(ie attach it to /dev/rdsk/c?d0s?), next use mkfs to put a file system on it
(you should also use pname to make an /etc/ptab ...)

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell			..!{unisoft|mtxinu}!taniwha!paul (415)420-8179
Taniwha Systems Design, Oakland CA

 	"Where was George?" - Nudge nudge, say no more ...