CDC Wren IV's on A/UX

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Thu Nov 3 15:41:26 AEST 1988

In article <180 at umigw.MIAMI.EDU> angel at umigw (angel li) writes:
>I have a CDC Wren IV drive which I have initialized with SF&I.  It is bootable
>and I have been using it as a system disk.  I would now like to use it as
>an A/UX system disk but I don't know how to get A/UX loaded on it.  Has
>anyone done this?  Will I have to get a commercial device driver for this?

I don't think the SF&I driver uses the new format Partition Map.  This would
mean that you can use the disk for Mac OS -- or A/UX -- but not both.  You
can use the normal dp utility on A/UX to build the Partition Map and initialize
the disk.

>By the way, what is the exact size of a Wren IV?  I initialized it with
>a huge number of blocks since I don't plan to fill it up with native Mac OS
>software.

If you have SCSI Tool you can do a 'Read Capacity' (opcode 25) to get the
size of the disk in blocks.  [by the way, the result of the Read Capacity
command is the logical block address (block number) of the last block that
can be read on the disk -- not the size of the disk.  The last block number
is usually (size-1)].

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)