CDC Wren IV's on A/UX

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Tue Nov 8 13:57:30 AEST 1988

In article <676 at tank.uchicago.edu> sas1 at tank.uchicago.edu.UUCP (stuart austin schmukler) writes:

>The best way of getting A/UX onto the drive is to get a MacOS driver
>for the drive.  Then you carefully plan the layout of the disk,
>partition, and copy the file systems one-by-one into the partitions.

I disagree.  The MacOS driver is good for one thing only -- handling the MacOS
partition on the disk.  It is NOT capable of doing anything to the A/UX
partitions, including copying the files.  'dd' is fine for copying anything,
if you don't change file system sizes.  The big problem today is that few
Mac vendor disks have drivers or managers that can properly handle the new
format partition map.  Even Apple's HDSetup 2.0 has problems with partition
maps that it did not create.  (it likes to set flags that no one else uses, and
cannot handle maps with more than 9 partitions).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)