CDC Wren IV's on A/UX

stuart austin schmukler sas1 at tank.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 7 18:08:42 AEST 1988

In article <213 at taniwha.UUCP> paul at taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:

>	dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0d0s31 of=/dev/rdsk/c1d0s31 bs=400k

Which works fine if you do not want to use the MacOS partition of the
drive for writing.  As others have mentioned, the dd above blasts ALL
of the software on the target drive including the vendor's MacOS
driver.  Since the MacOS driver is needed to write on the disk reading
is the only safe thing to do.

You can save yourself some grief by write protesting the MacOS
partition.  You can still boot A/UX, but you will get an error message
flashed on the screen during boot.  I have not seen any ill effects
from this error yet.

The best way of getting A/UX onto the drive is to get a MacOS driver
for the drive.  Then you carefully plan the layout of the disk,
partition, and copy the file systems one-by-one into the partitions.
(Luckly it does not seem you have to worry about the physical cylinder
and head layout as you must under SunOS systems.)

In short this process takes the knowledge of a UNIX literate -- not
your typical store clerk.

If anyone has solution to this problem I'd love to hear about it.

SaS

PS: Thanks to Charlie Kim I got thru this mess.