A/UX 1.1 hangs in multiuser mode

Brendan B. Boerner boerner at ut-emx.UUCP
Sat Apr 29 05:17:01 AEST 1989

In article <174 at rampart.ee.tulane.edu> barad at bourbon.UUCP () writes:
>I've just installed version 1.1.  I've done this before on another Mac
>with no problems.  This time, when I enter multiuser mode, I hang.
>That is, when I login as root and give a password, it just sits there.
>I must have forgotten something...  I can't even remote login to
>shutdown the machine.  I have to reboot via the interrupt switch (not
>a nice thing to do to unix).
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm running NFS and YP.  I have no
>problems in single user mode, but when I type "init 2" I end up with
>this problem.

I have been having similar problems although I am using v1.0.  I also
noticed that it was doing this after installing NFS and YP.
Specifically, when I boot up in single user mode, I get the INIT:
SINGLE USER MODE message and then it sits very still for ~5 minutes.
It first appears that the machine has hung, but eventually it continues
with the W E L C O M E   T O   A / U X banner.  After issuing an init 2
from console, it comes back with the login: prompt.  I enter my name
and then my password when prompted.  Then, nothing.  After about 3
minutes I hear some disk activity and the login: prompt is
redisplayed.

Any ideas?
Brendan
Brendan B. Boerner