A/UX 1.1 hangs in multiuser mode

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Sat Apr 29 09:44:14 AEST 1989

In article <12524 at ut-emx.UUCP> boerner at emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:
>In article <174 at rampart.ee.tulane.edu> barad at bourbon.UUCP () writes:
>>I've just installed version 1.1.  I've done this before on another Mac
>>with no problems.  This time, when I enter multiuser mode, I hang.
>>
>I have been having similar problems although I am using v1.0.  I also
>noticed that it was doing this after installing NFS and YP.
>Specifically, when I boot up in single user mode, I get the INIT:
>SINGLE USER MODE message and then it sits very still for ~5 minutes.

In the first case, do you have a getty running on a second port that has
a cable hanging with no terminal attached?

Second case, perhaps it is looking for a server? Try taking out the
+:: line in /etc/passwd.

|Philip K. Ronzone, Apple Computer, 10440 Bubb Rd, MS 58A, Cupertino, CA 95014|
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft,...}!apple!phil             |