Using a Wren with A/UX

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Wed Apr 19 01:35:30 AEST 1989

In article <8904180533.AA04263 at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu> gmw1 at CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) writes:

>Now I've been told that it's cake to modify the names of the supported drives
>for HD SC Setup with a sector editor and get it to support a drive.  But I'm
>still a little dubious to spend $1800 on a drive without knowing that it's
>definitely partitionable.

I'm with you.  I have done this to HD SC Setup, but in both instances the
setup failed, even though HDSCC could find the drive.  The string you are
modifying is compared against the return from an INQUIRY command.
Unfortunately, this says nothing about the correct Mode Select command blocks,
or Format command block.  It appears in HDSCC 2.0 that there are tables for
these, also.  But I have not tried to go any further.

If you can initialize the drive for a Mac, with any number of partitions, you
can re-partition under A/UX.  It's just the initial formatting that gets you.
(unless you want a Mac partition on the drive, too -- if this is a secondary
drive you may not...)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)