Fun with Dick and Jane

Ron Widell ron at motmpl.UUCP
Tue Aug 1 14:01:14 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jul30.031813.751 at servalan.uucp>
      rmtodd at servalan.UUCP (Richard Todd) writes:
[re. tape/floppy backup on A/UX 1.0]
>  Presumably you got all this software off of some Unix box to begin with;
>why didn't you just do a straight uucp transfer to your home machine and
>let it go overnight?  At 2400bps you can move 6Meg in about 8 hours.

A word of caution here- A/UX is SysV derived and thus has the ulimit
parameter. I don't remember what it is by default (and my docs. are not at
home) on A/UX, but on most SysV machines it's 2048 blocks = 1 Mbyte. It's
rather unpleasant to have a large file transfer abort after 1 Mbyte because
of this limit. In any case you'll still want to compress prior to the
transfer.

--
Ron Widell, Field Applications Eng.	|UUCP: {...}mcdchg!motmpl!ron
Motorola Semiconductor Products, Inc.,	|Voice:(612)941-6800