Comp.sources.aux Comp.binaries.aux

a.e.mossberg aem at ibiza.cs.miami.edu
Wed Aug 16 10:46:36 AEST 1989

allbery at nc386.uucp (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>I found passing a print job to another system via either uux or remsh (you
>call it "rsh") in a printer model to be trivial.

The problem with remsh is either having to set up a "print" user and doing
convoluted setuid thingies to send the files, or more easily, giving users
accounts on the machines with the printers, which I really didn't want to
do. Besides, my machines were already set up for lpr/lpd. I didn't want to
change anything just because a few a/ux systems were forced on us.

>The problem with dropping lp in favor of lpr is that programs like e.g.
>WordPerfect have a tendency to expect the lp spooler on System V systems, and
>won't install properly if you aren't using lp.  (Yes, on a Mac you're more
>likely to run the MacOS version of WP -- assuming A/UX 1.1 can handle it --
>but I'm talking generic System V.)

We don't, and don't plan to, run any MacOS software.  The few things that users
have asked to run, don't run under A/UX 1.1.

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem at mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem at umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
Chances that a homeless American holds a full- or part-time jobs: 1 in 5
							- Harper's Index 2/89