GCC (was Re: Comp.sources.aux Comp.binaries.aux

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Sat Aug 12 14:24:40 AEST 1989

In article <625 at umigw.MIAMI.EDU> aem at Mthvax.CS.Miami.Edu writes:
>BTW, I've snagged the binary for gcc from apple.com, as well as the
>patched sources for a/ux, but can't compile gcc under a/ux, either using
>gcc 1.35 (minus patchs) or cc with the big compilier. Has anyone been able
>to compile it?
  Yes.  As I recall, I had to take out the -g option because the large
amount of debugging information caused the assembler to freak out.  Still,
it is possible to compile gcc with gcc.  Don't waste your time trying it
with the big cc compiler -- even the "big" tables aren't big enough.
Somebody needs to teach those AT&T guys about this marvelous new
invention called "malloc".
  Now for my question: Has anyone successfully gotten GDB to work?
It looks like a very nice debugger, but it requires a good deal of
customization to each system, and a good deal more understanding of A/UX
internals than I have.  I  did some work on trying to get it to compile,
but gave up on it temporarily to move on to other things.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Motorola Skates On Intel's Head!